- ½ cup (heaped) thur dal (parippu)
- 2 Tbs. coconut gratings
- 1 Tbs. bengal gram dal
- 2 sprig curry leaves
- 1 tsp. mustard seeds
- tamarind lump (the size of a marble)
- 2 tsp. (heaped) coriander seeds
- 2 Tbs. oil
- ½ tsp. cumin seeds
- 1 bunch coriander leaves
- ½ tsp. fenugreek
- seeds salt to taste
- 8 pepper corns
- chunks of vegetables (tomato, turmeric, onion, squash, potato,
- asafoetida (ingua) okra, raw banana, 6 red chilies (just about anything)
- Wash thur dal thoroughly.
- Boil 1 liter of water. Drop dal in boiling water. Cook until soft.
- Take a little oil in a frying pan on another flame. Roast mustard,
coriander, fenugreek, cumin, pepper, turmeric, red chilies, asafoetida,
bengal gram dal, coconut gratings and 1 sprig of curry leaves - all in the
same sequence, until brown.
- Grind all the roasted ingredients with tamarind to a fairly smooth paste.
- To the cooked thur dal, add vegetable pieces and a few coriander leaves.
Cook until tender.
- Then add salt along with ground masala (paste made above) and some water.
- Boil well. When done, remove from flame.
- Garnish with bits of coriander leaves. This is usually served with idli.