Ingredients of Theeyal
- Shallots or pearl onions - one cup
- large onions - 2
- garlic cloves - 2
- grated coconut - 1 cup
- coriander seeds - 1 teaspoon
- methi seeds - 1 teaspoon
- tamarind extract - 1 tablespoon
- chili powder - 1 tablespoon
- turmeric powder - 1 teaspoon
- oil - 2 teaspoons
- salt to taste
- curry leaves - a few
Preparation of Theeyal
- Peel and chop the large onions fine. Heat one teaspoon of the oil in a frying
pan and add ½ cup of the chopped onions. saute well and when browned, add the
curry leaves, coriander seeds and methi seeds.
- Stir for a few more minutes and
remove and keep aside.
- Wipe the pan and add the coconut.
- On a low heat, dry roast the coconut till
brown (not burned).
- When it is cool, blend the coconut with the onion mixture
adding a half cup of water.
- Heat the remaining oil in a saucepan and add the mustard seeds.
- When they
pop, add the curry leaves and remaining onions and shallots and stir till
- Add the tamarind extract and ½ cup water and salt.
- When it starts to
simmer, add the blended paste and cook on a low fire for 20 - 30 minutes.