Ingredients of Vella Appam
- 2 cups of white rice
- Half a coconut
- 1 table spoon of yeast
- 2 table spoon of partially ground, cooked rice
Preparation of Vella Appam
- Soak the washed rice for 3 to 4 hours. Wash and drain. Grind the soaked rice
in a blender with just enough water so that the ground material will be thick.
In the early stages of grinding take out about two table spoon of the partially
ground rice and keep it apart for cooking and later mixing. (This will be called
- Mix separately 1 teaspoonful of yeast , quarter cup of luke warm water and 1
tablespoon of sugar and allow the mixture to rise. Grind the coconut to a milky
emulsion. Mix your ground rice, 'Kurukku' (cook the partially ground rice saved
earlier like a thick porridge) the yeast mixture and ground coconut
- Allow the mixture to ferment for about 6 hours. Add sugar and salt as your
taste dictates. You can add a little coconut milk to adjust the consistency.
(You can add one beaten up egg at this stage if you fear appams sticking to the
pan.- Alternately you can wrap a half fried egg in cloth and use it to rub the
frying area of your pan.)
- Now put the mixture in a warm oven for 2 hours just before you make the
After it rises DO NOT STIR.
- Use a cast iron pan and use the same technique that one uses for