Fish Curry (Fresh Water / Small Fish)
- Fish - 1 lb.
- Onion - 1/4 of a large one;
slice it thin & long, & cut into halves.
- Shallot - 1 big one, cut into small
- Ginger - 0.5" piece, cut into
- Green chilli - 2, cut into half (long).
- Tomato - 1, medium sized, slice it
thin and long, and cut into halves.
- Coconut milk - 1/3 of the can (4.5 oz).
- Tomato puree - 3 spoon.
- Mango powder - 1/2 spoon.
- Uluva powder - 1 pinch.
- Fish masala - 3 spoon.
- Curry leaves - optional.
- Salt - as needed.
- Oil - 2 spoon.
- mustard seed - 1/4 spoon.
- Heat the oil, fry mustard seeds, then add onion and stir for a while.
- Then add
green chilli, ginger and shallot pieces (and curry leaves).
- Stir for a few
- Add tomato, and then tomato puree; stir well, then add salt, uluva (methi/fenugreek)
powder, mango powder and fish masala. (If you don't have Kerala fish masala,
then add 1.5 spoon [fine] coriander powder, 1 spoon chilli powder, 1/5 turmeric
powder, one pinch more uluva powder.)
- Stir well, then add coconut milk.
- When it
boils, add the fish pieces; stir slowly, then cover it and cook on low-medium
- Stir once a while (careful not to break the fish pieces) until it is
Note: To clean fish nicely, put the fish pieces in cold water, add 1/2 cup of
salt, a cup of vinegar, and 1 lime/lemon juice, and keep it for 15 minutes. It
will take away the smell and the bad taste of fish.