Recipe English/Malayalam Terms
The following may be useful in translating some of the terms
used in the recipes. (note: Malayalam sound designated by letters 'zh' is a soft English 'r'.)
|chana dal (bengal gram)
- Some of these recipes may be too hot or spicy for you. Reduce the
chili powder/green chilies to suit your taste.
- To make methi, coriander or jeera
powder, dry roast the spices (without oil) in a saucepan for a few minutes and
then grind to a powder.
- To chop onions or other vegetables, the Sunbeam Oscar
mini food processor does a great job!
- If using dried curry leaves, soak them in
water for a few minutes before use.
- Most of these curries freeze well. Freeze in
small plastic containers with tight lids (1 to 2 servings) and heat in a MW
covered for 4-5 minutes. Add some more spices and salt and garnish with fresh