My-Kerala

Message Board Home Tree Login / Register Search Latest Messages Start Format Help Email-Us

Moving to trivandrum : Concerns

Kerala Forum: Kerala Society & Culture: Moving to trivandrum : Concerns

By Anonymous on Friday, July 20, 2007 - 05:48 am: Edit Post

We have been living in Bombay for the last several years, and are planning a move to Trivandrum where my spouse's parents live. I had a lot of questions on the city:

1. Safety/Security : We are a little concerned about their feedback on the city. They are uncomfortable leaving home for more than a couple of weeks, as they fear the possibility of a robbery/break-in. While we're pretty middle class, with nothing much to steal from, they seem paranoid about this.
2. Education: We have a bright young daughter. My feedback on schools in Tvm indicates that they excel academically; however they may be paying less attention to the individual child's needs and to extra-curricular acttivities. Which girls'/co-ed schools are considered the best? Academics are key to us, but we also want the school to encourage independent thinking and creativity.
3. Housing : We do not want to live in the city centre. I believe that most people live in stand- alone houses. From the security and facilities point of view are there housing complexes that provide good facilities? How can I find out the cost of such housing?

Which are the good forums/ active message boards on the city?

Any inputs on the city will be really appreciated.

--------------------------------------------
mallu

5/04/2005

If u leave your house for an extended time, you should leave it under some kind of security. In every part of Kerala, robbery is happening.

There are flat system which can take care of your housing where you can safely lock ur flat and leave.

Education is important and I believe Trivandrum have some excellent schools. for example nirmala Bhavan school at Kowadiar is an excellent school for girls. There are many schools in Pattom also and other places.
Good Luck!

By tvm-ite on Friday, July 20, 2007 - 05:59 am: Edit Post

hi
there is no point of concern. if robbery is happening in mumbai, it happens in tvm too. that is all. statistics show that tvm is a place people can live peacefully.

political problems and trafic issues around secretariate will be there due to dharnas and processions. other than that it is a peaceful place.

iam from tvm. but this opinion is not because of that. i lived in b'lore, cochin, calicut, trichur and even in gauhati.

education : as you told schools give importance only to academics. other aspects you have to develop

good schools for girls are (for academics) holy angels (icse), nirmala bhavan (both girls only) st thomas, christ nagar, and another school in mar ivanios college campus (all co ed).

schools like kendriya vidyalaya and international schools like trivandrum international school, gurukul give importance to ECA. But admissioon in Kendriya vidyalaya is difficult, and international schools are bit expensive.

housing : there are enough flat schemes, both pvt and government (kerala state housing board) and availability is not an issue. price ranges from 15 lakh to 50 lakh (two bed room apt).

By Amit on Friday, July 20, 2007 - 05:49 am: Edit Post

Hi Mallu

I have read this thread only today and I hope by now you are well settled in Trivandrum. I am planning to relocate to Tvm next month and have exactly the same questions (besides, I have 2 kids) like you did last year. I am hopeful by now you will perhaps have experiences for us to gain from.

Can I request you to please drop me a line on amitpassi@iqara.net (cc themetalguru@hotmail.com) and me or my wife will be happy to call/correspond with you and gain insight to Tvm.

Much appreciate your help.

Regards
Amit

By Shibs on Friday, July 20, 2007 - 05:55 am: Edit Post

You could get flats for rent in Kowdiar which has got some good schools as well (Nirmala Bhavan, Christ Nagar, Holy Angels...).This location is also near to some of the good shopping areas (Narmada, Palayam etc)

You can get flats in apartments like Skyline, PPD, Heera which may cost you from 10K upwards to Housing Board apartments in nathencode (5K ) onwards

By Rajesh on Friday, July 20, 2007 - 05:56 am: Edit Post

Hi,

I moved with my family to Trivandrum 2 and half years back from Bombay. Trivandrum was good that time , not much crowded , now much crowded and okay to Live in.

I live in Kawadiar , near Golf Club and work place is 5 minutes away from home.

Hope the owner of this thread would have settled in Trivandrum by now

By Dealy on Friday, July 20, 2007 - 05:56 am: Edit Post

please visit www.aswathyhousing.com

By A M on Friday, July 20, 2007 - 05:57 am: Edit Post

I am an American of European origin... I want to spend a couple years in Kerala, is it safe for non-Indians to live there? Which part of the state has the highest living standards? Thank you in advance for any information.

By Vancouverdesi on Friday, July 20, 2007 - 05:57 am: Edit Post

dont move to tvm. it is full of difficult people. it is said "oru thekkaneyum paampineyum orumichu kandaal paampine randamathu adikkanam"

By shejoe on Friday, July 20, 2007 - 05:58 am: Edit Post

Hey!!!

Trivandrum is not that bad afterall!!

Yes the cases of "petty" robbery is on the rise but in general trivandrum would figure in the most safest places in the country as of now.

As far as education is concerned you are right again when you say that it is academically advanced but give little importance to the all round development and extra curricular activities.Being honest no school gives much importance to ECA so it really depends on an individual where he/she finds avenues to get involved in activities.There are many different options but the only problem is that you have to search for it!!!

Warm regards

Shejoe

By Anonymous on Thursday, November 27, 2008 - 10:38 pm: Edit Post

Message to Mr vanco*** and all others

From your message it clearly states you are a regionalist fanatic. In another terms uncultured fellow . Not fit to live in a coubntry like India . Hello Guys Trivandrum is avery good place to live . Very good schools . Only problem I found is majority of people are from different districts of Kerala and from different states , so there is not much of a neighbourhood relationship. People of who lived in big cities will be aware of that situation. TVM is also a emerging Metro city.

By NonResidentMallu on Sunday, January 02, 2011 - 11:53 am: Edit Post

Trivandrum is my home town. I did my schooling and Undergraduate degree from there. Right now living in Chennai and working for a prestigious MNC. I am planning to move back to trivandrum (or Cochin, last option) now as I am FED UP with so called polluted metro life of Chennai. If I get a good job opportunity at Trivandrum in ITES(such as accounting BPO) field, I'd be happy to move in back there. I believe cost of living is much cheaper in trivandrum compared to Cochin or any other Indian cities; Cochin enjoys somewhat a cosmopolitan status, I guess. As I am bit inaccessible to trivandrum job opportuntiies, I am interested to know from my folks in trivandrum about new opportunities. I am earning around CTC4 lacs now. I have an MBA in finance and have about 3 years of experience in the above field) Will I get a job in technopark or any other place in tvm, that can offer 6lacs ctc in the ITES accounting BPO field. If yes, please provide me the details of the companies that are hiring now. (May be Rajesh can help me:-)) I am desperate.

Thanks a ton for this information.

By Anonymous on Friday, February 10, 2012 - 04:18 pm: Edit Post

Trivandrum is one of the best cities in india to live in peace. If you can live in Mumbai probably you can live anywhere and there shouldn't be a question of asking.

Add a Message

This is a public posting area. Enter your username and password if you have an account. Otherwise, enter your full name as your username and leave the password blank. Your e-mail address is optional.
Username:  
Password:
E-mail:
Post as "Anonymous"

My-India.Net | My-Kerala.Com | My-Tamil.Com | My-Kannada.Com | My-Telugu.Com | My-Gujarat.Com | My-Maharashtra.Com | My-Uttarpradesh.Com | My-WestBengal.Com | My-Mobilephone.Com
Webmasters | AdNetwork | Take Us | e-mail Us
© My-Kerala.Com