My-Kerala

Message Board Home Tree Login / Register Search Latest Messages Start Format Help Email-Us

What is this Kottayam festival please?

Kerala Forum: Kerala Travel and Tourism: What is this Kottayam festival please?
By camaysar on Wednesday, October 07, 2009 - 12:21 pm: Edit Post

Recently I traveled to Kerala for Puram. This was in late April. When I took a side-trip to visit Kumarakom, I stumbled onto a street parade in Kottayam that featured children in colorful costumes carrying flowerpots on their heads with plants and flowers in them... some were large handmade cone-shaped displays.

Teenage boys were parading with spikes stuck through their flesh, with what looked like little lemons stuck on the tips, "seekh-kabob" style.

Can anyone please isentify this charming festival? Thanks!

By Anonymous on Saturday, July 21, 2012 - 08:09 am: Edit Post

Hi Camaysar,

Kottayam, Thiruvalla and Chengannur are the railway stations for pilgrims heading to the Hindu holy site of Sabarimala. During December and January of each year pilgrims from all over India head to Kottayam and its vicinities to start their final journey to the Sabarimala Temple. The temple is located around 110 km from Kottayam, in the district of Pathanamthitta. Panachikad Temple, one of the famous Saraswathy temples in Kerala is located nearly 12 km away from Kottayam. The Siva temple at Thirunakkara is in the heart of Kottayam town. Three festivals are celebrated here in Thulam (October–November), Mithunam (June–July) and Meenam (March–April) of which the last one is the most important.

I hope this would help...

Regards,

http://www.keralahoneymoon-packages.com

Add a Message

This is a public posting area. Enter your username and password if you have an account. Otherwise, enter your full name as your username and leave the password blank. Your e-mail address is optional.
Username:  
Password:
E-mail:
Post as "Anonymous"

My-India.Net | My-Kerala.Com | My-Tamil.Com | My-Kannada.Com