My-Kerala

Message Board Home Tree Login / Register Search Latest Messages Start Format Help Email-Us

Films like Bhargavi Nilayam

Kerala Forum: Malayalam Movies: Films like Bhargavi Nilayam

By M.A.Ismail on Monday, July 23, 2007 - 03:08 am: Edit Post

Bhargavi Nilayam is to be termed the cenema in Malayalam to be proud for a number of yers to come. It is unfortunate that there is no comments posted on such things while mentioning director names such as Vincent. Even today if you see the film you will not feel it as an old film except being B/W. Being yakshi story portrayed on the life and afterwards of Bhargavikutty cast immensely and beautifully by Nirmala in her first venture and now acclaimed in Kannada like the one time Sharada, you need to compare this movie with any horror movie later on in any language. Can a movie like this be so beautiful and soul searching is to be seen. We can not imagine such a film on such a subject these days. The topic has relevance today and any day unlike some other old movies. It is to be remembered that this was the first directorial venture by vincent who was till then a camera man mostly in Tamil. Producer Pareekutty hailing from Cochin in his hay days having a luxurious banner by name chandrathara which did not fail any movie till last was an artist to select not so famous short story published elsewhere (Ilrated Weekly), to select Basheer as a script writer and to give the directorial cap to Vincent a new comer. They all came to Cochin to work on the film including Bhaskaran the lyricist and Baburaj the music director. Moreover who could select Madhu at that time for the debut basheeriyan role to lead the film alone for the first half taking the audience intact. Even the selection of Prem Nazeer for the next half of the movie where the actual love story of the movie enrols is to be commented. I have not seen Nazeer so beautifully in any other movie.
I have seen the film several times in my younger days in Ernakulam and Cochin where it was made in '65. Agter that I could see several good movies on the celluloid acclaimed for several reasons. To me it pinches me hard; never again I was so happy about a film like that. From the statistics I do not think I could be in t
future too.
Why an attempt of similar kind was not made later on? When Malayatoor's "Yakshi" was to be filmed, as adorer of the novel from the very encryption in the weekly (Mathrubhoomi) it had a very good chance to become one like that. Reading "Yakshi" (not seeing the movie)depicts such an ardent picture in our mind even today if you make an attempt. Yakshi was taken by another famous banner "Manjilas", but to any reader who loved Malayatoor's Yakshi, it was a pain to see that. So it did not happen like Bahargavi Nilayam. We used to say that the mindset of Basheer & Vincent could not be depicted on the celluloid by Sethu Madhavan and Malayatoor. The difference could be in the extreme dedication the team of Bhargavi Nilayam put towards making it. Yakshi was made after about 3 yers after that. Today it can not be imagined. Hope nobody will make an attempt to re-make it. The result could be worse than that of Yakshi unless there happens to be an extremely impossible exemption.
We can say similar things about several good old Hindi movies - Sahib Beebi Our Gulam is one. Past remains past not to be repeated possibly. The nostalgia of those movies will and has to remain nostalgia for ever.
Vincent made several movies after that. Continuously he made some films like "Murappennu" , "Asuravithu" & "Nagarame Nanni" all by MT. They were all admired as films of its days and the ones which brought MT to such a prominence even today. The expectation from Vincent as a director was immense. The one genius of the day Mr. K.Balakrishnan of Koumudi who was the heart throb of youth of those days wrote about Munnu or Bharagavi Nilayam in "Koumudi" in big hoarding like this "...Vincent, oh friend! Can you create some movies like this and give we poor malayalis to save us from the wretched film net crooks around us.." K.Balakrishnan was such an outspoken person of his own kind, not to be forgotten who did not even hesitate to la
Ajitha for her daring acts as a lady joining her father Kunnickal Narayanan and mother during the earlier Naxal days. His is another name not to be forgotten by any contemporary youth of his days and even later. What intellectual strength he could adorn to the youth of his days was never repeated later if I am right, else I will be only happy to hear that. I had those paper cuttings for long with me to remember such things as Koumudi weekly which was just a one man show by Balakrishnan. Today there are several offshoots of that Kaumudi trying to take the light from his hand. But I do not think any succeeded.

Add a Message

This is a public posting area. Enter your username and password if you have an account. Otherwise, enter your full name as your username and leave the password blank. Your e-mail address is optional.
Username:  
Password:
E-mail:
Post as "Anonymous"

My-India.Net | My-Kerala.Com | My-Tamil.Com | My-Kannada.Com | My-Telugu.Com | My-Gujarat.Com | My-Maharashtra.Com | My-Uttarpradesh.Com | My-WestBengal.Com | My-Mobilephone.Com
Webmasters | AdNetwork | Take Us | e-mail Us
© My-Kerala.Com