My-Kerala

Message Board Home Tree Login / Register Search Latest Messages Start Format Help Email-Us

Ban on smoking in movies

Kerala Forum: Malayalam Movies: Ban on smoking in movies

By Jagadeesh Bandlamudi on Sunday, July 22, 2007 - 06:36 am: Edit Post

Hello I am Jagadeesh Bandlamudi.
I think ban on smoking in movies is foolish thing and a clear picture of poor strategy from central government. Generally people smoke for pleasure and not because their favorite hero or heroine is smoking. If we closely observe, people pick up smoking habit in their teenage. There might be some exceptions but most of the people pick up the smoking habit in that age.
If you randomly choose a person and ask him, At what age did u start smoking? most of the answers would be 15, 16..18, 19. but no one will say that I started smoking when I was 40 years old or 26 years old.. So on and so forth.
So I believe underage smoking is the root cause for addiction to tobacco. Even if a person start smoking at the age of 22, he will be matured enough not get addicted and he knows his limits.
Everyone is aware of the rule that tobacco shouldnt be sold to the people below 18 years age. However this rule is not strictly implemented in India. If you consider the developed countries like USA, the storekeeper wont sell cigarettes to the customer unless he produces photo ID such as drivers license etc which reflects his date of birth. By that way, teenage children dont get chance to smoke. It is a serious offence if store keeper sells cigarettes to a minor, he will be penalized and put behind bars. So its the duty of the government to create awareness among people of the country that selling cigarettes to minors is a serious crime. If this rule is strictly enforced in India, then India would become smoke free zone.
It creates unnecessary curiosity among people and drives them to try smoke if it is banned in movies. The government should also try to include one compulsory course which explain dangers of tobacco and alcohol for all school students (right from 1st to 10th stand! ard). The government should stop these childish strategies and come up with much better strategy.
----------------- JAGADEESH BANDLAMUDI-------------

Add a Message

This is a public posting area. Enter your username and password if you have an account. Otherwise, enter your full name as your username and leave the password blank. Your e-mail address is optional.
Username:  
Password:
E-mail:
Post as "Anonymous"

My-India.Net | My-Kerala.Com | My-Tamil.Com | My-Kannada.Com | My-Telugu.Com | My-Gujarat.Com | My-Maharashtra.Com | My-Uttarpradesh.Com | My-WestBengal.Com | My-Mobilephone.Com
Webmasters | AdNetwork | Take Us | e-mail Us
© My-Kerala.Com