My-Kerala

Message Board Home Tree Login / Register Search Latest Messages Start Format Help Email-Us

Captive elephants at Guruvayur

Kerala Forum: Kerala General: Captive elephants at Guruvayur

By menon on Saturday, July 21, 2007 - 07:17 am: Edit Post

I wonder if malayalees in particular and animal lovers around the world would consider donating to the Guruvayur Devasvom Board for round the clock videographing of the sanctuary. I visted Kerala after 20 years this month. My first visit to the sanctuary. I saw a man dig a small sharp knife into the elephants mouth and ear even as the poor creature was being bathed..When i asked him'why', he abused me in front of other bystanders and said'pinnay, ennay thooki kollumo/Oru chukkum cheiyan pattilla'.I reported this to a man near the office (which was closed at that time), and he said'Please keep it quiet. A lot of awful things happen here to these elephants'. I have the mahout's picture, and mean to send it to Guruvayur as soon as the film is developed, but Im also afraid this might mean more harm to the elephants if the man is taken to task. Close monitoring is a must.

People who donate elephants should contribute to its upkeep too. The Devasvom is already bearing a huge expense towards the upkeep of the elephants, and the drunken mahouts as well. I understand it is three mahouts per elephant.

Please, let us all do our bit so the captive elephants are not tortured by these men, who have a job only because of these majestic beings. Does anyone know where Deepa is? The girl who took up cudgels on behalf of the mahouts? Is she aware of the awful things these men do?

By gauri on Saturday, July 21, 2007 - 07:18 am: Edit Post

Im not surprised that not a soul has responded to Menon's appeal for the elephants well being at the sanctuaty at Guruvayur. Tiedup by 3 legs and poked around. No one cares. Kerala is known for its cruelty to animals. We mallus are an uncaring lot.Lets hope the microchipping announced recently will bring some change.

By menon on Saturday, July 21, 2007 - 07:19 am: Edit Post

DOESNT CRUELTY TO THE CHAINED ELEPHANTS BOTHER ANYONE/NOT EVEN THOSE WHO DONATED ELEPHANTS THERE? ARE YOU LISTENING JAYARAM AND MS JAYALALITHA?

By rajinder on Monday, July 23, 2007 - 04:53 am: Edit Post

National Geographic to air Guruvayur Elephants

Hope the National Geographic teams eyes were keen enuff to see the cruelties the mahouts inflict upon the chained elephants. Round the clock supervision can go a long way in reducing these horrific acts. How sure is the Devasvom that the mahouts feed all the elephants, that they are bathed, illnesses reported, and that no MAHOUT INFLICTS DEEP INJURIES ON THESE CAPTIVE KINGS JUST FOR FUN, OR TO WREAK SOME FORM OF REVENGE FOR AN APPARENT ACT OF DISOBEDIENCE ON THE ELEPHANTS PART?

WAKE UP PEOPLE. THE MAHOUTS MUST BE SUPERVISED. THE SUPERVISORS MUST ALSO BE TRUE ANIMAL LOVERS, WHOSE THE SECURITY MUST ALSO BE ENSURED.

Add a Message

This is a public posting area. Enter your username and password if you have an account. Otherwise, enter your full name as your username and leave the password blank. Your e-mail address is optional.
Username:  
Password:
E-mail:
Post as "Anonymous"

My-India.Net | My-Kerala.Com | My-Tamil.Com | My-Kannada.Com | My-Telugu.Com | My-Gujarat.Com | My-Maharashtra.Com | My-Uttarpradesh.Com | My-WestBengal.Com | My-Mobilephone.Com
Webmasters | AdNetwork | Take Us | e-mail Us
© My-Kerala.Com